Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 3 - Add money to an expired meter.

I didn't think that adding money to an expired meter would make me feel any better but to be honest I  started thinking about those days where I was in a meeting that was running late which I couldn't run out of, or an interview for a new job which I couldn't interrupt and in the back of my mind I knew that my meter had run out and I couldn't afford another $18.00 ticket.

It's silly to think that the person that had the expired meter was having one of those days but I'd like to think that they we're. I hope that my random act of kindness was noticed by the stranger and that I made that person's date and in return they can pay it forward to someone else. I don't know about you, but I would love for someone to put money in my expired meter.

Oh and by the way here's some food for thought, although there have been rumors that feeding stranger's parking meters is illegal, after some intensive research it turns out that it's not actually illegal at all. If parking authority see's you putting money into numerous expired meters and find out that they are not yours, they can still give the vehicles a parking ticket but they cannot arrest you. Also, according to EHow's Can You Pay Other People's Parking Meters? The practice of feeding coins to a stranger's meter is becoming impractical as new, technologically advanced parking meters are implemented. In some cities, a paper slip with a time stamp is printed and displayed on the interior of a car, making it impossible for a stranger to intervene. In other cities, cashless payment systems are in place, via phone or credit card, which are considerably more involved than simply putting a few quarters into a coin slot.

No comments:

Post a Comment