Monday, July 2, 2012

My One Good Deed a Day Project♥

Everyone chases happiness, not noticing that it's right at their heels. People go throughout their lives and their days not worried about anyone else but themselves. What will bring them happiness, what will satisfy them, at the end of the day they don't notice that happiness doesn't only come from materialistic things and things that pertain to them, but sometimes happiness is you being able to make someone else happy. 

I began thinking about my purpose and my meaning in life, yes, I've always been a church going girl who is polite and smiles at everyone and gave back as much as possible but at the end of the day I was probably just as shallow and self-consumed as everyone else. I decided to take on a project, a project that is not about me but about others. I purchased a book called "One Good Deed A Day", the point of the book is for me to complete whatever deed it tells me too on that particular day, and to reflect on the deed, how it made me feel, what I gained from the deed, so after careful consideration I also decided that I wanted to share my feelings with the world. What I hope to gain from this is to teach people to do well for others and that a simple smile could brighten someone elses day. Like the author of the book says "Good deeds never go unnoticed. In fact, they tend to have a ripple effect. Your kind smile can compel someone to hold the door for a stranger, motivating that stranger to reach out to an old friend, who decides to donate much-needed funds to a charitable cause". I also hope to encourage others to take the oppurtinity to do a good deed, not once, but every day!

Although I am not Islam, there is a saying of theirs that I absolutely adore.. "This world counts not on your image, not on your clothes, nor on your car. This world counts on your deeds for your deeds are counted. May your lips stay busy with dhikr. May your mind stay filled with knowledge. May your heart stay heavy. May you be among those who fly across As-Sirat and find their final home in Jannatul Firdaws. Ameen

No comments:

Post a Comment