Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 2 - Become an organ donor.

I originally had a big problem with becoming an organ donor, a dozen questions popped up in my mind, is it true that I will not be able to be buried with my family when I pass away? Will my body be disfigured? If I am an organ donor, does this mean that doctor's don't try as hard to save my life if they know a donor needs my organs? Who would get my organs and tissue if I became a donor? I could go on and on with all the questions that arose in my head.I've always been the nerd type to research things and although I have always given back to the community and could remember volunteering even in my younger days, becoming an organ donor was never something I thought about nor crossed my mind. The selfish side of me just wanted to keep my organs to myself, why give them to someone else?

After researching becoming an organ donor and reading about it, article after article it was crazy how one person's organs can change and save so many people's lives. Each day more than 100 people are added to the national transplant waiting list and 17 people die unnecessarily simply because the organ they need is not available. According to Donate Life more than 100,000 men, women and children currently need life-saving organ transplants, including more than 1,500 in Florida alone and it has a cure. Along with all the people in need of organ donations, every 10 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list and up to 18 people die each day from the lack of available organs for transplant. My favorite fact of all is that me donating my organs or anyone for that matter can save up to 60 lives through organ and tissue donation!

The most amazing feeling and reward I got from this deed was the feeling I got from reading all of the true organ donor stories. Each and every story was so touching, from mothers who's lives had been saved after too much blood loss due to giving birth to children who wouldn't have survived without a donation, everyone's story was different and changed my life in so many ways just from reading them, how could I have been so selfish, not only did I decide to donate my organs but I will also start to encourage my loved ones to do so as well.

We are brought up to believe superhero's have special gifts, that they have superhuman qualities that allow them to fly or whatever. But I now believe a superhero is just an ordinary person, someone like you and me, who performs an extraordinary task, not someone who can deflect bullets with their chest. Someone who chooses to save others is considered a superhero not only to me, but to the lives they are saving.

Make the choice today, I did. The sign-up process is simple and quick and I was finished with three easy steps. You can register at Donate Life America and not only can you choose what organs and parts of your body you would like to donate but the website specifies that your body will not be disfigured and the operation is done with care, you are left looking the same way as before except you've become a superhero to others. Remember, where there is love, there is life!!!

This is a video of little Penny who's life was saved by a family who donated a heart, it's definitely a must watch!!

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring post, Cindee! Thank you for sharing how you overcame your initial thoughts of becoming an organ donor.

    ReplyDelete