Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 62 - Make art.

For as long as I could remember I've wanted to take art classes; I adore art, whether I am looking at it, creating it, or admiring it. My motto is that art heals the heart, it can be any form of art, through drawing, painting, sculpting, it doesn’t matter what kind. Art comes from within you, through creativeness; creativity is an innate human trait. There are no rules to art and the truth is, anyone can be an artist in their own unique way.

One of the items on my New Year's Resolution List for 2013 was to initiate art classes; thankfully I have an amazing little sister who encourages me with everything I want to accomplish, so as a Christmas gift she got me art classes.

Months passed by and I always had an excuse of being “to busy” to make time for the classes but when I saw making art as one of my deeds it finally gave me the push I needed. I began taking the classes last month at an art school called Art Atelier and I am thrilled to say that I am one class away from finishing my very own first art piece. Not only do I look forward to art classes but there is not one thing I could say I dislike about the entire experience.


Painting is like healing therapy to me, it gives me a sense of relaxation, clears my mind, and although the class is usually full of people, I find myself lost in my work as if I am the only one in the room.  Every Wednesday evening that I have attended, I leave class craving more and my creativity is at its highest peak.
   

It has been proven by doctors that creating art can alleviate stress by distracting you from your present situation, completely engaging you causing you to think of just your art and nothing more. It puts you in a meditative state, leaving you much less stressed when you’re done. Just the act of having a hobby can make you feel more balanced in your lifestyle; sometimes with all of life’s responsibilities, we forget that we need and deserve ‘down time’ and self care. Taking even a few minutes on a regular basis to devote to a hobby can give you more of what you need.

Today, put yourself first and make it a priority to make art, whether alone or with a loved one. It can be anything for pottery, to drawing, or even writing. Just a couple of minutes of 'me' time can really make a difference! Need some ideas on how to generate art therapy? Click here. :) 


"When we stop fearing failure, we start being artists."

1 comment: