Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 58 - Find out how your dad proposed to your mom.

I've always been a hopeless romantic, in love with love. In my world, I believe in fairy tales and that love does come true. That's why; in today's society I am considered an idealist rather than a realist. Coming from divorced parents, that couldn't stand each other since as long as I can remember (they divorced when I was one years old), I never really stopped to ask or even think about how my father proposed to my mother.

Although, there were many bitter sweet battles between the both of them throughout my childhood, I can say that twenty years later they now get along extremely well and family events include both sides of the family including my step mother and mom's boyfriend (which adore each other).

Upon reading today's deed I can't deny I was a bit thrilled to hear how my father proposed; although they divorced fairly young, I did know that they were high school sweet hearts and madly in love with each other from the get go. So I guess you could say, when asking my mother about their proposal, I was hoping to hear about an extremely ridiculous, romantic, consuming, and amorous love story regarding the now former lovers who created me.
Instead, I got a callous dose of reality; although my mother and father "loved each other intensely",  growing up as teenagers and young adults, they didn't envision ‘jumping on a whisk’ and getting married until my mother tested positive on her pregnancy test with my older brother. When news of the pregnancy hit, my father whisked my mom away to a hole-in-the-wall (as she puts it) boutique hotel located on South Beach and asked her to marry him because they both knew it was the right thing to do. Lol. One year later, after a romantic wedding at my grandmother's house, news arrived about mistake#2, also known as little old me, and a couple years after that the battles began also known as the "D" word, divorce.

Although my parent’s story didn't end up like The Notebook, I can say I enjoyed finding out my mom and dad's history which I never even thought to ask prior to this day. If you don't already know your parent's story, you should definitely ask and watch as your mother and/or father's face light up remembering "the good old' days". Not to mention, when our parents get older, we are in the midst of our busy schedules, careers, and raising our families (if any); we never really stop to include our aging parents in our lives and show them that they are still important to us.

Remember, time passes in the blink of an eye and if you don't stop every once in a while you might miss it, and you might never have the same opportunity again to learn about your own family history's details. Don't be left with regrets in the end. Be proactive now and take the time to ask them the small simple questions which will bring happiness to the both of you by getting to know and relive the special moments. Start today by asking your parents about their proposal; I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face or at least make you laugh like mine did.
 
 

 
"Love isn't practical. It isn't meant to be easy. It doesn't appear on command. It doesn't let you fall for whomever you'd like. It surfaces neither the most opportune moment nor in the most convenient. It'll pair you with someone you might never have expected. It'll put you face to face with endless obstacles. But in the end, none of that will matter because it's how you overcome its obstacles that will define your love. It may not be practical, but love is ultimately the best thing that will ever happen to you."

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of high school sweethearts, i have to say im a bit of a dreamer! This is a great project, i hope to be with you every step of the way!

    Much love :)
    hrhmerrilyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I'm a dreamer too and I think even though is not the story you wanted to hear , It's great to know it <3
    x

    www.be-your-own-hero-now.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindee,

    I've nominted you for the Liebster Award, just a little way to acknowledge how great I think your blog is! You can read more about it on my blog.

    Zoe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly, this made me think that happiness is not difficult. A beautiful way to take things up.
    I am gonna look up to doing something like you're doing.

    ReplyDelete