Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 47 - Meditate for ten minutes.

Like most people, I don't stop from the second I get out of bed in the morning. One task after the other and my mind is constantly racing, thinking about what task I have to do next, have I forgotten anything, what's for lunch, what's for dinner, etc. A couple of month’s back I really got into yoga, in fact, I loved it so much that I currently do it 3 times a week. One of my favorite things about the exercise is that it not only does it work out every single part of your body physically; but it also works out your mind, mentally. You get to relax, meditate, listen to mantras and think about nothing at all. Now, if you we're to ask me if I could meditate outside of yoga class I would reply with "no chance".

Have you ever thought about how many things are running through your mind on a daily basis? I never did either until I had to do this deed. When I first tried to meditate, I chose a comfortable setting; my room, sat on my bed, lit a candle and tried to think about what they taught me in yoga, the conclusion was... it was hard, REALLY hard and it got to a point where I thought I wouldn't be able to complete my deed.

Our minds are producing a constant stream of point-less thoughts, and most of us identify so strongly with them that we don't even notice they are there. Our mental energy is exhausted by an endless stream of useless, unhelpful thoughts and opinions such as.."I  hope the Heat win's tonight, but maybe I should have picked a better restaurant? Oh, that's silly to worry about that. I wonder if that new Sushi place near Gigi's is any good? I should call her; I haven't talked to her in a while. She always understands though. Oh I should buy a movie to watch this weekend, that will be cool. I wonder what though." Chances are your mind sounds like this on a daily basis as well, and you're rarely aware of it. Very few of us are.
I came to the conclusion that for me to complete this deed I needed more than to sit on my bed with a candle and my eyes closed; so I did what I do best and turned to my handy laptop to research. I found perfect the guidelines that instructed me step by step how to meditate; the website also offered an audio version that you can listen to while meditating which is the option I opted for. I have to admit, once I completely cleared my mind and actually meditated it felt great. It left me feeling refreshed, energized, and attentive.

This deed taught me that meditation is important because it trains our minds to snip our thoughts and to focus on what's useful and important. It improves your concentration; a clear mind makes you more productive and creative. It makes you less bothered by the little things; it is the nature of the mind to magnify small things into serious problems, meditation helps us to detach and learn to live in the "here and now" rather than worrying about the past or future. Studies have proven that meditation leads to overall better health; the reason is that meditation reduces stress levels and alleviates anxiety; reducing stress benefits your health in so many ways. It also enables us to have a deeper understanding of our inner self; through meditation we can gain a better understanding of our life's purpose.
I've definitely decided to add meditation to my schedule more often because I know it will make a difference and all of us deserves some “me time”. Today try closing your eyes, click on this link and follow the simple instructions by listening. You will see what a positive difference it will make in your day, even if it's just for 5 minutes. You never know, you might like it so much that you will add it to your daily rituals. Let me know how it goes! :)
“Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance.    Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back. And choose the path that leads to wisdom.” – Buddha          

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Like most, my life has been about running as fast as I can just to keep up. I have tried meditation off and on but I still worried about the time I was taking for myself when other things needed to be done. Now I have the time and not as much interruptions so maybe I will try it again. Thanks for getting that link. I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! You will see what a difference it makes and it will actually make you more energized and productive! Just do 5 or 10 minutes (which you deserve) and you'll love it! Try the audio link, it worked for me!! :) xxxxo

      Delete