Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 28 - Allow everyone else to go first all day.

When I read my deed of the day I took it literally, not just to allow people to walk in front of me or to hold the door but to literally let everyone go first, speak first, walk first, take the first bite of the dessert, etc. For those of you who know me know that allowing everyone to go first all day is nearly impossible for me. I have always been one to interrupt people when they are talking because I am so excited to say my side of the story. I love taking the first bite out of everything hence the fact that I used to tell my little cousins growing up "let me try it first, I want to make sure it's not poisonous; I'm doing it for your safety"; they believed it until they we're around 9 years old and then they would just roll their eyes and laugh.


I started the day by opening the door for everyone and letting them walk inside places first which was fairly easy. This task did not really get difficult until we went to an employee lunch, whenever people would be in a story and I wanted to add my two cents, I would go to interrupt them and then completely remember my deed and bite my tongue. It was definitely harder than I thought it would be. When the food came out, it took every single bone in my body to offer everyone a taste before I took a bite. As the day progressed my deed got harder and harder but by the evening I was so used to it I didn't have to think twice about allowing someone to go first which was definitely odd for me.


What I learned from this is... it's actually nice to let someone talk without interrupting them because I got more of a chance to listen to their story and actually focus on what they we're saying instead of thinking about what I wanted to say. And in return I found that when I let people finish their story without cutting them off, they would do the same with me. Now, the whole letting them take a bite first? I didn't learn anything from that and will choose not to do so anymore! Lol jk jk! Seriously, I've come to notice that people are usually so consumed with themselves, it's kind of sad that people always think about themselves and I am ashamed to say I am one of them. This deed definitely made me realize it's actually nice to listen and not be the one talking all of the time. It's truly nice to see someone’s face full of delight when they take the first bite of the cheesecake and it's really nice to open the door for someone, it proves chivalry isn't dead. I encourage you to try that today, allow everyone to go first all day and I am pretty sure you’re going to feel just like me at the end of the day, happy I did so! Trust me, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment