Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 73 - Tell the story of the person you are named after.

Names usually communicate so much more than a simple tag or label of what to call you. Your name becomes the representation of who you are; who you are to your family, to your boss, to your friends, to the businessman in the office or the waitress at your table. Your name is a representation of YOU.

In the universe everything has been given a name. And, behind each name there resides a meaning. Parent's usually put a lot of time and effort into the decision of what to name their children and it's something that will stay with you (for the most part) for the rest of your life.

When my parents got the news of their first child, my brother, they made an agreement that if my father got to name their son, my mother would be able to choose the name of their first daughter. A year later, when news hit of my expectancy, my mother says she was excited to choose a name for me. Her first choice was Ashley, but when she came across the name Cynthia in a baby book she fell in love with it right away. My name, Cynthia, is a Greek origin which means Greek god. The name derives its meaning from Mount Kynthos and was the name of the Greek moon goddess. She loved the meaning of my name and the history of it, not to mention, she also adored the fact that a famous Roman poet Propertius used the name Cynthia in many of his love poetry which she thought was, in her words,"dreamy and romantic".

At a very young age, my mother found that it was hard for people to spell my name or pronounce it correctly so she decided to nickname me Cindee, spelling it differently than the normal Cindy name, because if you knew my mother, you’d know that she strives to be different and unique. The name Cindee quickly stuck, and now as an adult I can say not many people know me by my full name; I believe the only person who still calls me by my first name is my grandmother. I've asked my mother many times, why she didn't just name me Cindee if she intended to call me that all along, she just laughs and tells me that she still loves my full name and doesn't regret it one bit. As for me, either names are okay with me, but sometimes it will take me longer to look if you’re calling me by my first name, being that I’m not used to it. What about you, what's the story about your name? It’s nice to find out little things like the reason behind your name which one day you can tell your children or grandchildren. I’d love to hear the stories behind your name, so comment below!♥


 
Cynthia prima suis miserum me cepit ocellis,contactum nullis ante cupidinibus.
"Cynthia first captivated wretched me with her eyes,
I who had never before been touched by Cupid." (I.1.1-2)

 

1 comment:

  1. Aw that's a lovely story! I actually don't know exactly where my name came from, so I've made a mental note to ask my parents :) my middle names on the other hand are named after a flower and a horse haha! Heather because it grows all over Scotland where my ancestors are from, and Rose because there were three horses in the Melbourne Cup with that in their name (held just a few days after I was born)!

    sophboat.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete