Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 82 - Look into the eyes of the person you are talking with.

In the Bible, verse Matthew 6:22-23 it reads, "the eyes are the window to the soul"; many different poets have since used the famous quote including William Shakespeare. The meaning of this verse is that if you look deeply into a person’s eyes, you can tell who they truly are. 

Eyes are one of the best attributes of human expression because they can be direct and elusive, as well as show a million different emotions in just one look. 


There are many reasons why it is important to look someone in the eyes when speaking to them. Looking into the eyes of the person you are talking to shows respect for that person, whether it’s a boss or a friend, it reflects that their opinion is important to you; sincerity can definitely be felt through eye contact.


If you like someone in any shape, way, or form, eye contact is significant because it shows you are actually interested and listening to what they are saying. Eye contact can say so much and show so many different things, it can reflect intimacy, understanding, love, attentiveness and so much more.

I personally get so busy at work sometimes that someone coming into my office for a simple question can irk me, so when they do come in I keep on working hoping that not making eye contact will show them I'm busy. It's an awful thing to do, I know, and I didn't realize it until completing this particular deed.

Today, I made it a point to make eye contact with everyone that crossed my path whether it was the mailman, the stranger waiting in line behind me at CVS, a coworker or a friend. Not only was it nice to take a breather and realize that I'm not a machine made to work and I too deserve a small break, but it also reflected how good the person felt for me taking the time to listen even if it was just to borrow my scotch tape. I can't promise I'll always do what I did today, but I can promise to try.

Today's society consumes us so much and we don't even realize it. Have you ever stopped while at a restaurant and looked around? Most people sitting down are on their cell phones rather than having a conversation. Most people are too busy at work to stop and have a small chat. Most people at the grocery store or in the street are in too much of a hurry to acknowledge another human being. Be that person that makes a difference today and show people that you actually care enough to take the time and look them in the eyes while they're speaking, even if it is your waiter telling you the days special; I can guarantee you will make their day or even their week by a tiny little gesture that takes no effort at all!

"Basic human contact – the meeting of eyes, the exchanging of words – is to the psyche what oxygen is to the brain. If you’re feeling abandoned by the world, interact with anyone you can.”©

No comments:

Post a Comment