Friday, April 26, 2013

Day 66 - Bless your interruptions as an opportunity to take a deep breath and smile.

We live in a world that is constantly on the go twenty-four-seven. I can never seem to get unconnected, something is always happening, something is always interrupting. When I get to my office in the morning, I have a to-do list that is never ending, and every time I check something off the list, five more tasks are added. On top of everything else, I never seem to accomplish as much as I would like to, because every five minutes there’s someone walking into my office asking for something or just wanting to chat.

Today, I made sure to not to get irritated when someone came in to ask me for something; instead I smiled, took a deep breath and delighted in taking a couple minutes away from  my hectic work day.

What we don’t realize is that it is essential to our health and we deserve to stop, relax, breath, and take just 5 minutes each day to get disconnected; when was the last time you took a time-out (other than sleep) away from the chaotic workplace to gain perspective and clear your mind for 5 minutes? It's completely counterintuitive to set aside time not to do work in order to do more work.

I think the nice side-effect of taking the time to breath is that you are able to control your workday rather than letting the workday control you. By taking the 5 minutes it gives you a chance to disconnect and reboot. There will always be urgent issues to keep you busy, but it’s up to you to let those issues take over your life. Today, bless your interruptions as an opportunity to clear your mind, disconnect and reboot to be more productive; I promise it will leave you feeling better and more efficient.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment